Registration is open! Click the button to select your volunteer type, date and shift!
All volunteers must review and print this newsletter as there is valuable information and protocols that you need to know prior to your arrival.
Code of Acceptable Conduct
All volunteer must read this document that explains what is expected of every volunteer.
There will be copies at each area, but please review the appropriate protocol below in preparation for the clinic:
Thanks for volunteering! Here are some Q&As:
Q: What is the location and dates? A: PPG Paints Arena, 1001 5th Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, and the event is Friday, July 26th and Saturday, July 27th, 2019 (setup is Thursday, July 25th).
Q: Is there a specific entrance for volunteers: A: Yes. Volunteers must enter at the Verizon Gate which sits on Centre Avenue and is accessible from many of the PPG Paints Arena parking lots. Patients will have a separate entrance.
Q: Are meals provided to volunteers? A: Yes. Lunch and water will be provided.
Q: Is parking available for volunteers? A: Yes. On Friday, volunteers can park in the Logan Lot. On Saturday, all lots are open, so volunteers can park in any lot.
Q: Will there be a training session for volunteers? A: Yes, at the beginning of each day and during the shift overlap both Friday, July 26th and Saturday, July 27th (approximately 5:30 AM and 11:00 AM). Please see the Lead for your area once you arrive.
Q: Is lodging available? A: Yes. This year, volunteers can have a discounted rate at Cambria Suites, located next to PPG Paints Arena (1320 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15219) of $109/night + tax. The group is listed under a Call to Care, Inc, so please ensure you give that information to the operator. To make your reservation (rooms are limited), please call reservations at 1-877-305-7123 from 8am - 7pm Monday - Friday and 9am – 3pm Saturday or click here.
Q: Does your insurance cover me as a volunteer? A: Non-clinical volunteers will be covered by a general liability policy provided by MOMPGH. In most instances, a dentist’s liability insurance will cover them during this charitable event. However, please call your insurer to double-check. Here is the form showing coverage for dental professional liability. This form should only be completed by dentists. Please fax the completed form to 717-234-4163 or submit via email to email@example.com
Q: What should I wear? A: Clinical volunteers should wear scrub pants and a t-shirt and will be provided with disposable gowns. Non-clinical volunteers should wear neat, comfortable clothing. Jeans are permitted and sneakers/close-toed shoes are suggested footwear. ALL volunteers will be given a Mission of Mercy Pittsburgh t-shirt at check-in and MUST be worn over your other clothing as they are color-coded by assignment. You will also receive a name badge and wrist band which must be visible at all times.
Q: As a clinical volunteer, can I work with my doctor/assistant? A: Yes, of course. When you arrive onsite, choose a treatment chair and work together.
Q: Will there be a place to store my valuables? A: No. We are not responsible for personal items. Please bring only what you can wear or keep with you at all times.
Q: Are MOMPGH dentists and hygienists required to have an active Pennsylvania license? A: Yes.
Q: If I am an out-of-state dentist/hygienist/EFDA/nurse, can I volunteer? A. Yes, but you must submit a form to the State of Pennsylvania for a temporary license NO LATER THAN MAY 1, 2019. For a dentist/hygienist/EFDA, please CLICK HERE. For a nurse, please CLICK HERE.
Q: Do dental personnel need to bring any special equipment? A: Dental personnel need to bring safety glasses and any loupes/magnifiers that are normally used. Chair-side electrical outlets will be available if needed. Each dental unit will have a portable Aseptico dental light but headlamps are helpful. You may bring your own non-fiber optic hand pieces and forceps if you wish, and our sterilization team will sterilize them for you. Please ensure your personal pieces of equipment are labeled properly ahead of the event. Equipment that will be provided includes handpieces, surgical instruments, filling material, exam gloves, gauze/cotton rolls, local anesthetics, etc. Please note that dental personnel are welcome to bring any equipment/supplies not described above. Please note that procedures and protocols will be distributed to volunteers prior to your shift, but they are posted above.
Below are descriptions of the many roles we will need volunteers to play over the course of the two-day event:
- General Volunteers: Patient Registration, Patient Ambassador (escort patients in the clinic), Patient Exit Interview, Volunteer Registration, Translator, Patient and Volunteer Hospitality, Set-up, Tear-Down, Technology Support
- Dentists: Those with a dental degree and a current, unrestricted PA dental license or a PA volunteer dental license to work in the following areas: dental triage, oral surgery, restorative, endodontics, prosthodontics, pediatric dentistry.
- Hygienists: Those with a dental hygiene degree and a current, unrestricted PA dental hygienist license to work in the following areas: hygiene, sterilization, and radiology.
- Dental Assistants/Students: radiology, dental triage, oral surgery, restorative, endodontics, prosthodontics, pediatric dentistry, sterilization, and hygiene.
- Medical and Nursing Students: medical and nursing students are needed for various non-clinical volunteer work. We especially need bilingual students.
- Dental Equipment Technicians: Individuals with appropriate training and experience to set-up, maintain, and tear down dental equipment.
- Hygiene Assisting Students: Sign up in Sterilization, Patient Education or any non-clinical position.
- Laboratory Technicians: Individuals with appropriate training and experience to fabricate, or repair oral prosthetics, including treatment partials.
- Pharmacist / Pharmacy Tech / Pharmacy Student: Sign up for the onsite Pharmacy.
- Medical Doctors and Nurses: both are needed in triage.
- X-Ray Technicians: Individuals with appropriate training and experience to provide or assist with digital panoramic and intraoral X-rays.